Banca Giuratale

The Elegance of Banca Giuratale

Once the Banca Giuratale used to be place of the Universitá of Mdina (the local government during the Aragonese period, founded in 1397), which was abolished in 1800. During the earthquake in 1693 big parts of the building were destroyed and weren't rebuilt before 1723 by Manoel de Vilhena (portuguese Grand Master of the Order of the Knights of Malta), who used the Banca as his summer residence. Nowadays parts of the National Archives (from 1530 till 1890) are stored in the building. It is an imposing structure close to the Pjazza San Pawl and definitely worth a detour! 

Login to post comments