The signal tower from 1750 is situated close to Mdina's main gate at the Palazzo Vilhena. During the centuries it was used for most diverse purposes: as a telegraph station, to accommodate volunteers of the sanatory of the british army (temporarily the Palazzo Vilhena functioned as a santatory) and as the office of Mdina's police. Today the tourist information is located in the tower. The Torre dello Standardo has a similiar structure as the other coast towers of Malta. But in contrast to the other towers it shows many baroque elements and therefore appears more graceful.