The daily museum once accomodated the chaplains of the Order of St. John and is named after the Great master Alof de Wignacourt, who ruled over Malta from 1601 till 1622. 1749 the baroque building was finished and is now a part of the complex with St. Paul's Grotto. The museum is spread over three floors and houses many artefacts and hidden treasures, including a 1663 replica of the shroud of Turin and a collection of 17th – 19th century Spanish, Italian and Maltese silver. The main floor is not to be missed and contains an impressive picture gallery with works of Maltese and European artists, like Mattia Preti, Antoine de Favray and Francesco Zahra. It is definitely worth a visit! And after an interesting tour through the museum you can enjoy a decent lunch in the in-house restaurant/cafe. The calm and green backyard invites to a short or even longer rest.
Open for visitors every day between 9:30am and 5pm (last entrance at 4pm) for 5 Euro entrance fee (discounts for children, students and seniors available).